Laura’s Butternut Squash Soup
Nutrition facts for three servings
using 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock
1 tbsp.olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
4 cups cubed fresh butternut or other winter squash
3-4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (I use 3 cups because I want it a little thicker)
2 tbsp. maple syrup
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot.
2. Add the onion and cook until soft but not brown, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the garlic,allspice and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute.
4. Add the squash, broth and salt, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender and the broth is slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in maple syrup.
7. Allow soup to cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth.