Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Janice's Spicy Experimental Hummus

I love spicy hummus and eat it all the time, but I've never made it before. The following recipe is still in the experimental stage, and is a combination of several interesting recipes that I found on line. I liked how some of the cooks used a variety of oils instead of tahini. I've never owned a tahini, but I usually have both sesame and olive oil so I'm going with that. As I improve it, and with suggestions from you all, we'll make this recipe the best spicy hummus around!

Woop! Let's get our collaborative cookery game on! Tell me how to make spicy hummus!

The nutrition facts (thus far) can be found at Calorie Count!

Spicy Experimental Hummus

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained

1 lemon juiced
1/8 cup sesame oil
1/8 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions:
In the bowl, combine the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, sesame and olive oil, garlic, jalapenos. Season with black pepper, cayenne, cumin and oregano.
Mix using the stick blender or a mixer on low speed until the ingredients start to blend, then turn the speed to medium, and blend to your desired consistency. 
Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
Notes:
Adjust the proportions of liquids to suit your taste. 
 Beat it thoroughly or use a blender if you like creamy hummus and not so much if you like it to have more texture.

1 comment:

  1. I have a few variations...

    I sometimes reduce or omit oils and use the bean juice or chicken broth in its place. Heating the juice or broth make it much fluffier.
    With a VitaMix, you can use whole sesame seeds rather than the tahini.
    Add ins: Roasted garlic, basil or cilantro pesto, roasted peppers
    And don't be afraid to try other beans: navy, black beans or lentils

    ReplyDelete